I mentioned in passing in this post that last Christmas I made a gingerbread tree. What I didn’t mention was that I had some, uh, engineering issues (read: it collapsed several times before getting it out the door). After stabilising it by chocking up each layer with broken biscuit pieces, it proved quite popular at The Man’s family Christmas Eve bash last year.
Having made mental notes of all the issues with the recipe, I decided it was worth another go this year. The recipe says to use two or three of the smallest stars as a spacer between each layer, which proved very unstable and also far too high. This year I only used two stars, which was somewhat better but the top still fell off a few times. I really think it only needs one star in between (in fact, I’m sure that’s the case in the photo!). I also used larger stars for the lower layers instead of the small stars as instructed, which was successful in making the base much more stable.
It’s always frustrating when you’ve followed a recipe to a T and it doesn’t work, especially as a beginner. Still, despite the problems, it all got eaten so I guess I should look at it as a success!