We recently ticked off a project that’s been on our to-do list for the last four years. Namely, the closet in the study.
From looking at this photo, you could be forgiven for thinking that the problem was with the interior fit-out but that the doors could be kept, but it was actually the other way around. Those doors look innocent enough: neutral and perhaps even nice and modern. In reality, it had a huge pelmet meaning the top 40cm was unusable, the temporary paint job that we applied during the office makeover to cover up the shoddy doors was easily chipped, each door was two-thirds of the width of the closet making the centre third inaccessible and the doors had dropped so that every attempt to open them required a fair amount of upper body strength and was accompanied by a high-pitched ‘SCCRRRRRWWWWWWOOOOOOAAAAAAR’ noise.
Time to get rid of the chipboard shelving, contact paper and scuffed walls.
Tip of the day: Demolition is always a good way to get your fella interested in helping you with a home renovation project.
Here you can see the cream paint that originally featured in the rest of this room, as well as the same light blue that was in the kitchen and laundry when we moved in.
The back of the pelmet was a tad overengineered…
…or perhaps not.
The new robe didn’t require the panels of wood either side so out they came. Unfortunately half the wall came with it and it was right back to the brick so that, plus all the holes and removing the corner round, meant we went through a serious amount of putty.
Ah, what a difference a bit of a tidy up and a fresh coat of paint can do.
The new interior fit-out and doors are done, but I have done zero organising so far, so I’ll be back with part 2 next time!