You are the BEST? Did you know that?
I’ve been going over the results of the first ever Atypical Type A reader survey and I am completely blown away by the positive and constructive feedback.
Crazy, massive thanks and virtual hugs to everyone who took the time to complete the survey. Your input is going directly into shaping the future of Atypical Type A into what YOU want!
Without further suspense, let’s get nerdy and have a look at some of the stats. Grab a cup of tea and get comfy because this would have to be my wordiest post ever!
If I were to drop in on you unexpectedly, what would I most likely find you doing?
- Nearly half of you (47%) said you would be on an organising frenzy!
- 26% of you can be found working on your business or blog.
- I’m pleased to know that it’s not all work though, you’re just as likely to be chilling out with a magazine as you are to be working (I’m not very good at the whole relaxing thing – you will have to give me some tips).
- One in five of you would be crafting or decorating.
- Entertaining family and friends came in last at 10%.
What do you most enjoy about Atypical Type A?
- The vast majority (68%) are here for the content, which is not suprising since – let’s face it – even on designery blogs content should still be the most important aspect.
- 36% enjoy my writing and personal opinions which is very nice to hear!
- Design & layout came in last (after photography). I will be working to improve this, although many of you subscribe through a feed reader so I won’t overdo the effort on this at the expense of quality content.
Is there anything about Atypical Type A that you are not enjoying?
- I am beyond thrilled that the vast majority said that there wasn’t anything they didn’t like! Yay!
- There were a few individual comments that I will take into consideration but not anything that constituted a trend.
What’s your fave column on Atypical Type A?
What kind of posts do you prefer?
- A whopping 95% of you said you love the easy & cheap projects!
- Major projects, quick tips, my personal experiences and inspiration from other sources are also proving really popular.
- Around a quarter of you find product reviews and gift guides particularly useful.
- Room moodboards proved the least popular.
What kind of topics would you like to see more of on Atypical Type A?
- Over two-thirds of you can’t get enough craft tutorials.
- Over half want more storage/organising and simplified living posts.
- Almost half would like to see more makeovers, inspiration & arty stuff and my own work.
- More of my life, our home, product finds and collaborations were also popular responses.
- Parties & entertaining and blog/business talk came in at 21% each.
- Food was the least popular response with 5%, followed by reader spaces at 15%.
What would make Atypical Type A more useful or enjoyable for you?
Some of the comments were:
- “I’d like more posts but understand you have a more exciting life than me, I just check blogs.” (Haha this is so far from the truth but good to hear you’re keen to see more!)
- “More tutorials! You always have great, easy and affordable ideas to share!”
- “I like the ‘my life’ stuff.”
- “More frequent posts and a stronger focus on your fabulous stationery and your creative process.”
- “More house projects and craft ideas.”
- “More pics of the hot as writer.” (Ryan, I know that was you!)
- “Please continue with the projects, tips and ideas that are ACHIEVABLE for those of us without a home from the pages of Vogue Living and a more realistic budget. That is what I like most about Atypical Type A.”
Phew!! I found it really fascinating to know what you’re thinking.
Some results confirmed what I already thought but others were a total surprise, so it is really helpful to get your insight.
Here’s my take on the results and what it means for the future of Atypical Type A…
Easy & realistic projects
Sometimes I feel like the daggy little sister to some of the bigger blogs with their glamorous homes and clearly more substantial decorating budgets. Hearing you say that you dig the low-budget, quick and realistic projects makes me so happy!
So I’m going to throw out the comparisons and keep it real!
I’m going to be continuing my partnership with Polka Dot Bride and we are currently scheming up some even better tutorials for my fortnightly column. They obviously have a wedding focus but many can be applied to gifts and other occasions. I haven’t been getting my hands dirty enough lately so you’ve encouraged me to do some more fun and easy crafts for around the home too!
For both house and craft DIYs, I will be setting up a project gallery. OK correction: I will be ditching my current woeful project page and replacing it with a regularly-updated picture gallery so you don’t have to dig through the archives to find what you’re looking for.
This is something I have been thinking about a lot over the last few months so I was excited to find that almost 60% of you are having the same thoughts. I’m not quite sure what kind of posts this will manifest itself in just yet, but I think it will be a worthwhile addition to the Uncomplicate category.
Storage & organising
Roger that! More organising goodness will be on the way. Our house is chaos at the moment so there is definitely plenty of fodder!
I was actually quite surprised to learn how many of you want more of my stationery and work. Not because I don’t think you would like it, just that I had no idea that it’s what you came to Atypical Type A for.
For those of you who do want more Akimbo in your life, a) Hooray! b) You are in luck because I have a brand spanking new Akimbo blog coming!! I’m just in the final testing stages of the website now and it should be up by the end of next week.
Since you’re keen to see my work here though, I will likely include the occasional link to what I’m up to.
Business & blogging
I’ve been curious to know how many of you out there were like me and had a blog or business so it’s interesting to learn that over a quarter of you do. This will certainly never become a business blog, however I was planning to introduce book reviews, so I now know there’s a good chunk of you who will enjoy the occasional feature of a creative business book.
Perhaps some more home office storage and decorating ideas would be useful too.
I have been wanting to produce more original content, including a greater focus on our home, so it’s great to know you feel the same way. It’s been difficult finding the time for projects around the house since I’ve been up to my eyeballs in work, but I will definitely try my best to increase this.
While I’m definitely not the super private person I was up until a few years ago, I still find sharing too much about my own life and family a bit strange. The other challenge is that I am in a work-eat-sleep routine that currently is not allowing much of a life at all so I don’t have a lot to write about!
That said, now that I know many of you are keen to get to know me a little better, I will be sharing a bit more. Don’t expect too many ‘here’s what I did on the weekend’ type posts (see above comments about weirdness and my lack of life to write about); I think it will be more like me incorporating more personal storytelling in my regular posts. Sound like a plan?
Inspiration & design
This is an area I’m a bit undecided on. I’ve been feeling like there’s already enough of the ‘here’s something cool I found on Pinterest’ kind of post in the blogosphere. Not saying there’s anything wrong with that, but just that I want this to be a space where you can find things you haven’t already seen twenty times.
While I will definitely be focusing more on my own original content, I’ll still include some inspiration type stuff because plenty of you are still digging it. However I’m going to rethink how I present it so it’s not just a rehash. What do you think?
Products & gift guides
I’ve been itching to include more products and shopping guides because isn’t it frustrating when you see fantastic ideas and trends but can’t work out where you can buy your slice? Or worse, you get really excited because you’ve located it, only to discover it’s ridiculously expensive or doesn’t ship to your country. Womp womp womp.
This seems a perfect time to let you in on a little secret. For some time now I’ve been working away behind the scenes on adding a shop to Atypical Type A! So if you see something you like you’ll be able to turn it from inspiration to reality without doing the usual hunting. Woot!
I’m currently in the process of scouring the web for the best decor, craft, storage and gift products that are funky, affordable AND ship to Australia as well as the States. Seriously, you guys, I have found the COOLEST stuff that I am bursting to start sharing with you.
Since you’ve been so honest with your feedback, it’s my turn to be honest for a minute. For over two years the blog has been an expensive and time consuming hobby, but I take it just as seriously as a job. Don’t get me wrong, I have loved every minute of it (well, except for technical glitches). Realistically though, it takes time away from my business which pays my bills. In order for me to put the effort and resources into Atypical Type A that will make it the best it can be, I’m at a point where I need to start bringing in some revenue.
Don’t be alarmed, there won’t be any spammy posts or flashing ads, but I will be taking the blog pro with grown-up sponsors and the shop as I mentioned. I’ll be handpicking products and sponsors that you’ll love (trust me, I’ve been turning down requests from irrelevant sponsors for almost two years so I’ll never start shilling anything I don’t believe in just for a bit of cash).
The only way the content will be affected is to make it better. I’ll be able to spend more time and money on awesome projects for you guys, which makes me giddy just thinking about. I’m shelling out for a professional developer (hi, Zoe!) to make everything easy to use and to iron out all of the bugs so you can get the most of out the site.
Right now I’m sadly not able to accommodate your flattering request for more frequent posts – posting every weekday is well and truly my limit at the moment – but having some revenue coming in will enable me to dedicate more time to the blog in future and possibly even bring in some amazing contributors.
I’ll start implementing some of your content requests immediately, however the full site redesign, including shop and project gallery, will be a while off yet. All of my attention is currently directed towards the Akimbo website launch and then I’ll be flat out with client work until I head off overseas. After arriving back in late January I think I’ll be playing catch up for a while before I can turn my attention back to the Atypical Type A redesign.
So realistically it will be probably be March by the time I’m able to launch everything. I know it’s a long way off yet, but the planning has been going on over here for months already and this seemed like a great opportunity to let you know what’s been going on.
Thanks again for those of you who participated in the survey – it means a lot to me. Even if you didn’t take part, I’d like to say thanks for reading and for your continued support.
After hearing all your encouragement and super kind responses, I am more excited than ever about where Atypical Type A can go!
If you didn’t get a chance to respond to the survey, please leave your comments below and know that you are always welcome to email me directly.